Re: [Usability] A (rather long) list of GNOME usability issues

Welcome Christian, o fair Nautilus developer ;)

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Christian Neumair wrote:

> > I'll attempt to summarize and respond to some of the issues
> >
> > Raising Windows
> >
> >   no idea
>
> There is a feature request for this on bugzilla already, and code was
> written [1].
>
> > open location dialog spurious errors (my opinion not his)
> >
> >   something I hope will be addressed or made irrelevant by larger changes
>
> I have submitted a patch for that already, which still needs cleanup.
>
> > Problem: A folder is a window. Unless it's a symlink, then a folder is
> > multiple windows.
> > Suggestion: Treat links to folders like the original folder.
> >
> > sounds about right, an issue to for the Nautilus developers I guess.
>
> No, no, no! :). We've changed the behavior multiple times forth and back

Forget i said anything, quite happy to defer to you on this one and I'm
sure you know the issue inside and out.

> in the past because people are never satisfied.

:)

Dont know anyone like that

> > Problem: There is no undo.
> >
> > Calum Benson isn't happy about it either perhaps some people need to
> > come up with clear plans and help a developer implement it.  again an
> > issue which should be discussed with the nautilus developers.
>
> Rename undo doesn't seem too heavy, undoing a move or copy operation
> that involves many folders and changes to the source/target directory in
> a clean fashion sounds way harder. I'm interested in whether you want a
> global undo (for all windows), or whether each window undo history
> should be treated separately. What if you close a window? One can make
> this arbitrarily complex by storing the undo history of a window inside
> the metadata system, but I doubt it's worth the pain for everyday use.
> "Ooops, I didn't want to rename that" might be the most common use-case.

something would be better than nothing and at least lay groundwork making
it easier for anyone want to improve it further

Hopefully Jason will post a link to Christians comments in the forum and
encourage people to help with follow up bug reports for some of the
remaining suggestions.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org