Re: [Usability] Re: gdm configuration dialog

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, michael chang wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:19:06 -0400
> From: michael chang <thenewme91 gmail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Re: gdm configuration dialog
>
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:51:07 -0700
> > From: Karim Nassar <karim nassar acm org>
> > Subject: Re: [Usability] gdm configuration dialog
> > To: Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com>
> > Cc: fraggle gmail com, usability gnome org
> >
> > Can I request that GDM support the ctrl-U shortcut to clear fields?
>
> This wouldn't be the place to request this - double-check bugzilla and
> see if a bug has been filed, and if not, file a new one.
>
> But that said, where does the shortcut ctrl-u come from?  Is it used
> in any other program?  Would a user expect to use ctrl-u to clear a
> field?

Maybe it was a typo?

There are some emacs keybindings like Ctrl+W (clear word) which some
people expect to find in a Text Entry (doesn't seem to work in my old copy
of GDM).  Don't know about Ctrl+U, emacs seems to use it for Undo.

I expect the ordinary user will use backspace (and the experienced user
will type more accurately but having said that I regularly mistype and
instead hit return to cycle through the username/passowrd as fast as I can
until I get it right). I can see why you might suggest GDM support the
Ctrl+W keybinding if it is something you are used to from elsewhere in
Gnome but as Michael suggested putting a request in bugzilla against GDM
would be the best way to go about it.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/