Re: [Usability] Re: Text wrapping in gedit

Il giorno lun, 03/10/2005 alle 13.30 +0300, Daniel Brodie ha scritto:
> I think the problem is a bit larger then the word wrap pref. There are
> more prefs that have this problem, for example, tabbing. Having to go
> into the options to change the tab width because you happened to open a
> python file is so annoying when you go back to a text file!

Yes, it's a generic problem of per-document vs app-wide setting.

However I think that introducing even per-mime type settings (e.g.
preferred tab width for python files) is way too compliacted to include
in the preferences UI and out of the scope of gedit, at least by
default.

Writing a plugin to implement this kind of behavior on the other hand
could be a useful exrecise and should be pretty easy (just a matter of
hooking in at the document load, get the mime type and set some
properties on the GeditView)

Incidentally an alternative and way less intursive solution is to
support emacs-like modelines (tab-width=8 etc written in the first line
of the document): this would be totally invisible for the people not
using them. In fact I already have a patch for this waiting in bugzilla.

> This might also be better for the future new_mdi branch, so that when
> you have an HTML document open to have a menu item that lets you see the
> document in a browser,  run some kind of command on a source file, or
> some of the latex related commands when using a latex file (say updating
> the bibtex files). This will stregnthen the idea that there is a bit of
> a different behavior for different file types (which makes sense).

Again, I think that this is the perfect candidate for an external
plugin.

Paolo