Re: [Usability] Re: Text wrapping in gedit

Il giorno lun, 03/10/2005 alle 10.13 +0000, Roberto Piscitello ha
scritto:
> Well, maybe I appeared a bit too radical, but I think that while we are now
> speaking about a way to have a global and a per document setting for text
> wrapping, tomorrow we could be discussing the _same_ issue for line numbering,
> for example.

Exactly, that's why I'd like to find a solution instead of signing off
the issue of word wrapping as "Normal people don't use the setting".
The existence of the bugreport itself is evidence that many people need
to toggle beteween word wrapping and not on a daily basis.

(as a tangent I don't think that line numbers are such an issue: if you
work mainly with source files you turn them on and they are not that bad
when editing other source files, otherwise you just leave them off)

> If the euristic solution prevails for line wrapping, then for line numbering,
> then maybe for one or two other settings, gedit already assumes two faces,
> depending on the type of files it is dealing with.
> I haven't proposed nothing more groundbreaking than this. (well, that was the
> intention, but I realize I probably pushed my idea a bit too far in the previous
> post)

As I said, I am open to improve the default behavior with some euristic.
But that doesn't change the fact that the euristic will break in many
cases and we still need to figure out a good way to present this kind of
per document vs app-wide settings.

Paolo