Re: [Usability] Re: Text wrapping in gedit

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 01:12 +0200, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 02/10/2005 alle 22.40 +0000, Roberto Piscitello ha
> scritto:
> <big snip>
> > I find your arguments quite interesting.
> > Maybe gedit should have two modes: normal mode and developer mode.
>
> As already stated before I'd really like to avoid this kind of
> pie-in-the-sky discussion: personally I value usability a lot and I
> think it's possible to make a good text editor which suits users across
> a large spectrum of expertise an needs. Distinguishing users in two
> classes is IMHO simplistic.
>
> Removing a few prefs from a dialog that the casual user is very unlikely
> to ever open and instead force him to chose between two apps or two
> modes sounds to me a lot like being a pacifist and move war to those who
> don't agree ;)

I think this a good point btw, so I will say no more about splitting up
gedit or creating a "modal" gedit :) If gedit developers are listening
to this thread I would hope they would comment. I think pie-in-the-sky
discussions happen b/c the actual developers that make the magic happen
aren't involved, making discussions like this a waste.

Eric