[Usability] Re: Activating find with /

On 11/30/05, usability-request gnome org <usability-request gnome org> wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:29:44 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Activating find with /
> Cc: usability gnome org
>

> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Shaun McCance wrote:

> > Raskin's leaping concept has two parts that are different from the
> > text search you'd find in most interfaces around five years ago.
> > First, it's incremental search.  And second, it requires you to
> > hold down the search key while you type.

> > On the second point, requiring users to do key chording for more
> > than about two successive keystrokes is just, well, inhumane.
>
> I agree, chording is inhumane.  Yet people insist on using GNOME which is
> pain in the arse to type and uglier to read, rather than Gnome (not to
> mention doing it properly and writing G.N.O.M.E. which would be painful.)

I'm willing to presume that's why typewriters had a "caps lock" key;
so instead of chording (hold Shift) G,N,O,M,E, a person can go <Caps
Lock>, G, N, O, M, E, <Caps (un)Lock>.  That said, I personally find
chording easier than Caps Lock, but I consider that as an exception to
the rule.

Gnome does look much more atheistically pleasing and such, although I
believe gnome is an actual word... usage of "Gnome" might lead to
confusion. *shrugs*

> The most fundamental usability flaw of Gnome today!

Indeed.
--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents.