Re: [Usability] Modifiers + Scroll => Zoom, which modifiers to use?

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 00:39 +0200, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
> > Dnia 30-05-2005, pon o godzinie 23:22 +0200, Christian Neumair napisał:
> > > Bug 79352 [1] suggested that "shift-mousewheel could zoom in / out on
> > > nautilus views", which sounded like a good idea. Now that Nautilus HEAD
> > > zooms the current directory view when the user presses shift+zoom, Mike
> > > Miller suggested [2] to use the ctrl key as zoom-triggering scroll
> > > modifier, since other applications (many win apps, probably firefox or
> > > mozilla) have this binding. Also note that currently, Epiphany has ctrl
> > > +scroll bound to quick scroll (double-stepped).
> > >
> > > Windows(/FF [probably]):
> > > ctrl+scroll: zoom
> > >
> > > GIMP, Nautilus:
> > > shift+scroll: zoom
> > >
> > > we have to decide whether consistency with win is important here, or
> > > whether double-stepped scrolling should be bound to ctrl.
> > > Any opinions?
>
> From a logical point of view, ctrl makes more sense to me. Because
> shift usually just modifies the normal behavior of a key or button,
> while ctrl is used for special functions like shortcuts. The normal
> behavior of the scroll wheel is to scroll the view, so it makes sense
> to me that holding shift will switch the direction or speed in which
> it scrolls, while holding ctrl does something completely different.
> Are there any other applications which use the "swapped" modifiers
> besides of Gimp?

I think that in this case, having the standard is more important than
what the standard is.

That said, I tested a few other apps, and this is what I found:

Evince: zooms on control, horizontal scroll on shift.

Inkscape: Zooms on control, horizontal scroll on shift.

E.O.G:zooms on no modifier, scrolls vertically on shift, and ignores
control

Epiphany: History on shift, page scroll on control

Gthumb: Ignores all modifiers

Sodipodi: Zooms on shift, horizontal scroll on control

GGV: Ignores all modifiers

So we're *really* locking a standard here.