[Usability] Re: RFC: On-line Content Filtering of directories

Am Dienstag, den 03.05.2005, 13:10 -0400 schrieb Kevin C. Krinke:
> On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 18:54 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > Maybe you could elaborate on where you want this. It sounds interesting,
> > but you have to make concrete proposals to get us code monkeys to do
> > something about it :).
>
> Easy! Everywhere! *grins*
>
> The escape key should be a global binding of sorts to cancel the current
> operation / dialog box / etc regardless of [GNOME] application. (Yes I
> realize that this isn't a simple undertaking due to the massive scope.)
>
> 1) Anytime there is a "cancel" button visible to the user, "Escape"
> should activate the "cancel" button.

In GTK+ HEAD and GTK+ 2.6.4 I can verify that Escape is bound to the
CANCEL button in dialogs, if there is any present. Otherwise it doesn't
do anything.

> 2) Any dialog box should also be "Escape"able defaulting to the same
> effect as pressing the "X" to close the dialog window.

Do you think this is desirable in all situations? Shouldn't we exclude
"Apply" dialogs (possible data loss)?

Note that we already act that way in many situations (we close menus and
cancel drags on escape).

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>