Re: [Usability] Docu of Keybindings of Startmenu

Hanspeter Roth wrote:
>   On May 01 at 21:47, Leif spoke:
>

>>In gnome you would use the menu key (I think, as I am not in gnome, so I
>>can't test.), or it might be one of the windows keys (called super or so
>>by xev)
>

> What is the "meny key"?

The menu key is available on Windows keyboards (or Tux keyboards). I
don't know if you can open it with any other keys.

> I have only a Windows 3.1 keyboard. Do I need a Bill Gates 95 or
> higher keyboard in order to open the start menu?

If you go to the desktop settings menu (located in applications menu in
Gnome 2.6) there are a tool to configure keyboard shortcuts. In this
tool you can set another key combination for opening the applications menu.

> And what about the navigation when the menu is opened; is it limited
> to the arrow keys or is there a navigation by the letter keys as is
> available in IceWM?

I don't know, but why not try some keys, or if that is to scary, check
the documentation.

>>If you're running another desktop manager they would have their
>>settings, which might be the same as in Gnome, but still independent.
>

> Is the "desktop manager" the same as the window manager or is it
> something different?

Pure technically they are different things. A window manager just
handles the windows, including the root window (aka desktop). Then we
have desktop managers, such as Gnome and KDE, which are a set of
programs and tools, which includes a window manager.

When you talk about Gnome, Fluxbox, twm, etc. it is usual to use the
terms window manager and desktop manager, to differ the smaller and
simpler environments (Fluxbox, twm) from the bigger (Gnome, KDE).

Best regards
Leif Linse