Re: [Usability] Re: Screenshots as videos

> [1] Though, in the brave new world of render, it would be awesome if we
> could avoid this.  Imagine that while we're recording, we have a slight
> overlay over the window that's not captured letting us know how long
> we've recorded and how to stop.

But Why Not use X On Screen Display for this? OSD is that stuff that
comes up on the TV when you raise or lower the volume. It seems to me
that this would be the perfect (and probably the only one) application
to use this feature. Like when you start recording your desktop, you
kinda moves your perspective to the desktop. Before the desktop was
the subject that made things happen, when recording it is the object
on which something else views. OSD seems perfect for this, if it is
technically possible. Like this: Hit shift + PrintScreen, green OSD
letters comes up with "RECORDING DESKTOP.. HIT SHIFT + PRINTSCREEN
WHEN DONE .." (the last dot blinks), then some seconds later the text
disappears and an OSD timer in seen in the lower right which displays
how many minutes and seconds that has ben recorded. Then when the
recording is finished a dialog like the save screenshot dialog comes
up.

XOSD fits the bill! The only catch would be that the OSD text
obviously should not become part of the recording and that is why it
might not be technically possible to implement it like this.

--
mvh Björn