Re: [Usability] screenshot & recording desktop video

On 6/10/05, Matthew Thomas <mpt myrealbox com> wrote:
> On 9 Jun, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> >
> > Dnia 07-06-2005, wto o godzinie 21:50 +0200, jeroen xs4all nl
> > napisał(a):
> >> 1. "Hide" the "Record desktop video" functionality in the popup menu
> >> of the Screenshot panel button. You then popup a dialog asking the
> >> user where the video should be saved, what type of video (Theora,
> >> AVI, mpeg4) it should be saved as and how long (seconds) or
> >> unlimited.
> >
> > Just save it on the desktop and choose a type that works for the user.
> > My mom certainly can't educatedly choose between theora, avi and mpeg4.
> > I'm also not sure about the usefulness of specifying a number of
> > seconds to record. Why do you think it's not enough to hit the stop
> > button when you want the recording to end? What user scenario is there
> > for that feature?
>
> Scenario: You're recording a product demo for a Web site. You don't
> want a video recording interface to appear in the video, because that
> would look unprofessional.

What about a post-recording dialog?  It could have a slider to scan
through the recording, and then the user could set start and end
markers for easy editing.  This would make it easy to remove the part
at the end where the mouse moves up to the stop button.  This would be
useful in the case of a timed recording too, because guessing the
exact amount of time is probably difficult.