Re: [Usability] screenshot & recording desktop video

Dnia 07-06-2005, wto o godzinie 21:50 +0200, jeroen xs4all nl
napisał(a):

> Zaheer implemented this in python as a notification area icon. I've been
> thinking this might be better integrated into the existing Screenshot
> button in the panel. I'm not sure on the best approach UI-wise though. So
> i'm asking for comments here. I have basically 2 ideas:
>
> 1. "Hide" the "Record desktop video" functionality in the popup menu of
> the Screenshot panel button. You then popup a dialog asking the user where
> the video should be saved, what type of video (Theora, AVI, mpeg4) it
> should be saved as and how long (seconds) or unlimited.

Just save it on the desktop and choose a type that works for the user.
My mom certainly can't educatedly choose between theora, avi and mpeg4.
I'm also not sure about the usefulness of specifying a number of seconds
to record. Why do you think it's not enough to hit the stop button when
you want the recording to end? What user scenario is there for that
feature?

Many people also don't have a screenshot panel button, they use the iten
in the system menu when they want to take a screenshot. Maybe put a
"Record video of desktop" item there. Once clicked, a panel appears
(always on top and on all workspaces) that either starts recording right
away or starts recording when you press a record button. (A panel icon
is too less visible I think. It will not be obvious how to stop the
recording. Of course that panel will be on all videos then, but oh
well.) It also has a stop button. After clicking the stop button, it
should be obvious to my mom, where the video went. I don't really have a
good idea about the last thing. When the desktop is visible, it's
probably obvious, because the video file icon appears when you click
stop. When the desktop is not visible, hmm, then I dunno.

You should probably record to /tmp first and move the file to the
desktop when recording is done, so that the thumbnailer doesn't run all
the time and sucks up cpu. (This is a nautilus or whatever bug imho).

>  Once the user
> presses the "Start recording" button, the panel icon changes shape to
> indicate it's recording. It then either records for a predetermined amount
> of time, or it stops when the user presses a certain key combination or
> clicks on the Screenshot button in the panel.
> A problem with this approach is that there is very little feedback to the
> user when the recording has stopped. Perhaps it's better to record first
> and then ask how/where to save it?
>
> 2. Modify the screenshot dialog so the user can say "no i don't want a
> static screenshot, record a video instead". After that, the same workflow
> follows as described above. I'm not sure this is a good approach since if
> done incorrectly, you could clutter the screenshot dialog (it's really
> simple & easy to use atm). We might just add an option to indicate the
> user wants to record a video and then for how long (seconds) or unlimited
> (user-action to stop recording). And then after it has recorded the video
> only then ask how & where to save it. Problem with this approach is that
> you get 1 dialog for 2 different functions. For example: the current
> dialog has a Save (iirc) button for saving the screenshot. How would this
> work if you could also start recording a video in that dialog?

I think including desktop video functionality in the screenshot dialog
is a bad idea. What you see after launching the screen shooter does not
very much resemble a video recorder type of thing.

Calling screenshots and desktop videos "static" and "dynamic" videos is
too technical an approach to the thing imo. My mom certainly wouldn't
classify pictures and videos that way.

Maybe sound should be recorded too, so that my mom can comment on what
she wants to show me.

Markus

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger bluetwanger de>