Re: [Usability] "About" menu items galore...

On 13/07/05, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Steven Garrity wrote:
> > I'm not sure I have an alternative suggestion for where to put the
> > version and license/credit info,
>
> Command line arguements I suppose, and in the documentation.
> This is something applications should be doing anyway.

Actually the About dialog would be a very good place to put the
command name of a Gnome application. Currently there's no way to know
the command of an already open application. This is useful if an
application which you have never used before is automaticaly open from
Nautilus.

Yesterday I had problems trying to know wich application did Evolution
use to open a pdf attachment. I normally use evince to see pdfs, but
it used a different one which I had never seen. To find out which one
it was, I had to search in the Gnome menu for all pdf-related entries
to find which one was used, and open preferences to find the
command-line name of the app (it turned out to be gpdf).