Re: [Usability] A problem in GEdit menu entry

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Leonardo Pereira wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:53:37 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Leonardo Pereira <leonardu_lopes yahoo com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] A problem in GEdit menu entry
>
> I sent a message to gedit people and they said that I
> have to send this message to you, so...
>
> Reading the HIG I saw that is a entry:
>
> "If there is a succinct functional description of your
> application, use the format: ApplicationName
> FunctionalDescription".
>
> But the gedit menu entry is "Text Editor". I think
> that to be HIG compilant it has to be changed to
> "gedit Text Editor".

The menu labels will look different depending on what you have configured.

I believe the default is to show the generic name "Text Editor" which
on a machine setup with the Gnome defaults and only a few extra
applications is what we want.
If you have more text editors it should be possible to set your menus to
show $APPNAME or $APPNAME $GENERIC-NAME.

I dont change the defaults very often so I dont happen to know how this is
done but I believe changes to Gedit may be unnecessary.

What distribution are you using?  Normally I would expect distributions
installing mutliple text editors to have sorted this out themselves
(Mandrake for example has the menu set to say Gedit).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan