Re: [Usability] Re: Screenshots as videos

Who is the Screenshot dialog for?

I don't think there needs to be much arguing over this idea of having
videos or delays in the screenshot utility if we actually name who the
utility is supposed to be for.  We can say that it needs to be "simple"
or "usable", but those don't mean anything if we don't have a targeted
design.

The way I see it, we can target Shaun and similar docs people in our
design.  The screenshot utility could be dramatically different if we
design it specifically for them, probably more of a prompting dialog the
way Shaun describes in his email.

Or we could design it for developers who need quick screenshots of the
window they are working with.

Or we could design this to be a bug-buddy style utility that attaches
screenshots / videos to bug reports.

Or there are plenty of other target uses beyond that.

Basically we can't target everyone in the same dialog, but I'm sure we
could use the same libraries to write different dialogs or apps for each
target.  And just to note that all these apps can probably coexist
peacefully on our desktop. :-)

I don't know what should be done here, I think the bug-buddy application
and the docs application are the most interesting, but maybe that's
because we haven't done that stuff before.  There's also lots of more
stuff we can do to the existing screenshot utility to make it easier to
use for developers, if that's the actual target of it now.

So I guess the question is what do we want to have, for who and who is
going to work on this?  I'd love to help as I have some ideas for this
stuff already, but unless we have active developers it's kind of a moot
point.

Cheers,
~ Bryan