Re: [Usability] nautilus, panel, and metacity not acting as if the desktop was a single entity

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Eric Larson wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:49:31 -0400
> From: Eric Larson <elarson novell com>
> To: Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM>
> Cc: usability gnome org, MaciejKatafiasz <ml mathrick org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] nautilus, panel,
>      and metacity not acting as if the desktop was a single entity
>
> Hmmm
>
> > Having said that, I totally agree that we should strongly discourage
> > applications to install launchers on the desktop... if we could find a
> > way to prevent that whilst still allowing the user to create their own,
> > I'd be entirely in favour.
>
> I realize this is a very window-centric view, but often times users

> My main point here is that just because some people like to keep a clean
> desktop, it doesn't mean that others are wrong for having a messy one.

I really enjoyed using Matchbox Gnome (GPE etc) where my entire desktop
was full of icons!  It is not at all cluttered though because the
"desktop" in the case of handheld devices is the same as (and in some
cases instead of) the applications menu.

On occasion I have been known to throw loads of shortcuts all over a
normal desktop and (ab)use it in a similar fashion.  (Actually that is how
my desktop normally looks, I only tidy it on rare occasions.)

I would love to see a Live CD distribution try because on a Live CD
a normal desktop isn't all that useful.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Open Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org