Re: [Usability] Small UI review for the new menu bar layout

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 23:20 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

>   * I have the feeling that the items are not consistent when it comes
> to ellipsis. For example, I'm not sure "Take Screenshot" should have
> ellipsis, but I think "Search for Files" (I'm not sure what's the
> english version of the label...) should.

Well, bearing in mind that ellipses are supposed to be used when
"further input is required to complete the operation", Search for Files
certainly qualifies.

Take Screenshot is a slightly trickier one... you don't give any further
input to complete the "take screenshot" operation, so in that respect it
shouldn't need an ellipsis.  However, you are required to give further
input to do anything useful with it afterwards, which makes me think it
probably does need one.

> The first question is: is this a good idea to have this submenu?

Possibly, but you might not want to hide all the connected servers (or
removable media devices) behind a submenu just because there are
suddenly more than five.  One option might be adding separate "More
Servers" and "More Devices" submenus when required, which just showed
the extra ones, or a single "More Places" submenu that showed both any
extra servers and any extra removable devices.

Cheeri,
Calum.