Re: [Usability] Keyboard Layout Options

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 01:29 +0000, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=36226&action=view

(I might be just ignorant, but, I don't understand these in the 2.8
configurater either, nor are they in the help manual that I can
find...)

* What does "third level chooser" and "show alternative group" mean? Are
these really describing what they do?

Under "Use keyboard LED...."
* What is the alternative group? Another language? Another layout?

Under "CapsLock key behavior":

* What is the default? I thought that the usability world frowned on
this... Shouldn't one of the options be appended with "(Default)"?

* What does "internal capitalization" mean? How is this different from
"acts as Shift with locking"?

* Does "CapsLock toggles normal capitailization of aplhabetic
characters" and "CapsLock toggles Shift so all keys are affected"
disable the shift key? Or does pressing shift disable the lock?
Shouldn't it be obvious here, especially since it *is* obvious further
up the list?

Further, has the help documentation been updated? If not, I'd be happy
to do so if I understood what all these options meant...

Overall, I think the configurator itself is significantly improved
(kudos to the patcher), but still confusing.

--
Karim Nassar
Department of Computer Science