Re: [Usability] Burn:// and computer://

Nadyne Mielke wrote:

Would it be a good idea to allow files to be saved here when no CD was mounted also, and only block the burn behaviour when a read-only CD was in the drive?

How would you show what files are "saved" here? ("Saved" isn't the right word, since they're really just queued for burning.)

Well technically yes, but to a user they are saving the files. They couldn''t care less whether it was stored temporarily on a hard drive or actually on the CD. Though saying that it might be good to encourage the user to think of this space as a queue.

How would you show that files are queued for burning at all?

In the same way as burn:/// shows, there are files there.

How would you deal with more than 650 MB of files queued?

How does burn:/// deal with it? A prompt asking user whether they want to spread files across multiple CDs

Would you want it to start burning the instant that a blank CD-R was placed in the drive?

Well typically in burning applications you have to click "burn". If you burnt as soon as a blank was CD present (with a confim burning dialog) this would make process more transparent to user, but I wouldn't personally like that.

I'm not trying to say that your idea is bad. :) I'm just wondering how to deal with these instances.

Well it's everyone's job on this mailing list to point out the tiniest flaws in everything.

Cheers