Re: [Usability] Sound Juicer 2 mockup comments

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 18:15 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 19:08 +0100, Samuel Abels wrote:
> > The date and genre options are not track-specific, so they could be
> > pushed into a simple separate "Disc Information" dialog window. In fact,
> > s-j seems to be made more similar to Goobox by using an editor window
> > for editing tracks. I have commented on the separate editor of Goobox
> > here
>
> Feel free to field the many bug reports/mails from the people who want
> to rip a compilation CD where each track has a different year and genre.
> Compilation CDs are the least of the worries here, people ripping
> classic CDs want to enter performer/composer/date of creation/date of
> recording/etc.

As for the date, perhaps the people interested in entering this
information will also be happy to have it displayed in the track list,
where it could still be edited. (I am not sure whether that column
should be made optional.)

For the other fields, or even full ID3V2 field support (and equivalent
fields in OGG tags) there certainly needs to be some very different
interface, I am not sure whether a CD player application for the average
user should be targeting at this though. If your aim is to target these
people, I agree that a separate editor window will be required.
I believe that this will also make it less usable for the average user
though.

> I don't own a single hardware CD player (Panasonic DMR-E55, Sony cheap
> something-or-other, Technics somethingelse) where stop is "pause and
> back".  If I hit stop and play, it continues from where I was.

Well, I haven't seen that on any CD player, but they have to provide a
"Stop and return" button either, right? I mean, if the only way to
return to the beginning of the disc is either ejecting it or pressing
"Skip back" lots of times that is not exactly an improvement.

-Samuel
|      Samuel Abels       |   http://www.debain.org    |
| spam ad debain dod org  | knipknap ad jabber dod org |