Re: [Usability] gedit's Save A Copy

Murray Cumming wrote:

gedit 2.9 has a new feature - a "Save Copy" menu item, under "Save As".
It saves a copy of the document (I guess the current state, but maybe
the saved state), but afterwards you will be editing the original
instead of the new location.

I think it's meant as a way to upload files to external servers without
using nautilus.

This seems both dangerously confusing and not consistent with other
applications. It's a plugin, so I personally wish it was turned it off
by default, even after the UI freeze.

The plugin is meant to to "save a copy" (who would have guessed :) ), of the current document to a local or remote location. I can understand how can you say that this can be confusing (just for the fact that it adds a menu item), but I don't see how it can be dangerous: AFAICS it cannot lead to dataloss, since
- it *saves* a copy
- it is not allowed to overwrite the current document itself
- after operation the current document state is not set to "unmodified" (like it happens after a normal save operation), so the user still gets prompted if he closes the document or the program.

As I already said to Murray, I'm not opposed to having this plugin off by default if so is decided.

However I'd like to point out that we didn't think of this feature after too much wine, but we got requests for it. Note also that this kind of functionality is present in other text editors (I know this is not a good reason to copy everything the others have, I'm just offering a datapoint).

ciao
   Paolo