Re: [Usability] GtkEntryCompletion: Popup Completion Window on Paste?

Am Montag, den 07.02.2005, 13:40 +0100 schrieb Daniel Borgmann:
> On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 11:33 +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > My use-case is that I quiet often see an URI that isn't a link (or have
> > it in a text file), and I want to open it in nautilus, or I simply want
> > to use the built-in search mechanism to look up a word in a dictionary.
> > So I press ctrl-N in an existing nautilus window (or click the Ephy
> > launcher) and paste the URI into the blank address bar of a new window.
> > My problem is that I have to insert a new character and delete it again
> > to make Ephy popup the completion window - and I need the window if I
> > want to select among the available search engines.
> >
> > Matthias Clasen rejected this request, argueing that users complained
> > and he once discussed it with Seth who suggested to not popup on paste.
> >
> > Comments, anybody?
>
> I can see how this could be potentially useful for pasting _words_, but
> isn't it completely redundant for pasting URIs? Why do you need to
> complete or select a search engine for a working URI. And pasting URIs
> is certainly more common than using Epiphany as a replacement for
> gnome-dict I would assume, so that's probably why it was disabled by
> default. It is a good question however, how to bring up the completion
> popup without deleting some chars first...

Hrm the question is whether the proposed behavior actually hurts much.
Another use-case would be any location popup which should allow to paste
URI fragments and then popup (/usr/ in popup, pasting
"long/path/to/some/file"). I gain (obviously Reinout as well), nobody
else looses.

> Maybe the most sane option would be to bring back the arrow button
> (as much as I dislike it) to show at least the possible search
> engines/smart bookmarks.

Nobody likes it. Why should we resurrect it?

> Or special case this situation and always show
> the popup for search engines after pasting.

It would in my opinion be confusing to only display some of the
completion entries.

> If both is not desired,
> maybe at least a hidden key combination could be added to bring up the
> popup (something like shift+downarrow).

Independent of any other actions that might be taken, it listens like a
good idea.

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>