Re: [Usability] [RFC] Announcing: Control-Center-GUI 0.1

Am Montag, den 07.02.2005, 13:33 -0500 schrieb Jody Goldberg:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 06:22:35PM +0100, Christian Neumair wrote:
> >
> > Oh, just as a sidenote: We have very long names and descriptions for
> > each pref item. The current GtkIconView doesn't allow us to use
>
> The current shell uses a custom canvas based layout that predates
> GtkIconView

Yup, but I played around with GtkIconView as well, before deciding to
use GtkTreeView using a GtkListModel. It DOESN't allow us to use
> > PangoLayouts, thus making it possible to chop or shorten text, which
> > results in uneven icon spacings. [...]
But then again, a two-column icon setup I initially wanted to use looked
quiet nice as well, I just had problems with the text (it wasn't
shortened).

> > After all, I think the ListView approach seriously beats the icon
> > approach. Scanning a column (either text or pixbuf) just seems to be so
> > natural and reminds me of quickly reading a newspaper (one or two words
> > each row) if you're in a hurry, so that you can see at a glance whether
> > an article is interesting.
>
> I find the matrix easier to use _iff_ the matrix is small.

My argument is that if you don't find something in row 1, you'll look in
row 2, having to bypass a big distance with your eyes. This doesn't
happen with a one-dimensional matrix (also known as array).

> How about a juxtaposition of the two idea.
>
> A notebook with a matrix of set icons in one tab, and a list/tree of
> 'Other' on the 2nd page.

Ugh, this listens totally weird. Why the heck would you want that?

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>