Re: [Usability] [RFC] Announcing: Control-Center-GUI 0.1

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 19:18 +0100, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 17:42, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Christian Neumair">
> > > It is a little app which is meant to eventually replace the preferences
> > > menu.
> > > http://manny.cluecoder.org/packages/control-center-gui/screenshot-0.1.png
> >
> > So, I don't agree with your starting point (tabs hiding things, rather than
> > OS X flat-panel categories style which may be better), but I strongly and
> > enthusiastically encourage you to continue experimenting with new ideas for
> > the control-center interface! Very rocking.
>
> I kind of agree with your objections, but I definately like this better
> than the OS X flatlook, which is rather, well, flat and simple and makes
> you overlook controls (imo).

Flat and simple is good because you can launch any item in two clicks
(launch shell, launch item). Of course, with the menu it's only one
click...

I still maintain that futzing with the shell is totally missing the real
gains to be made, though, which are in actually organizing the overall
prefs.

Havoc