Re: [Usability] gnome-terminal shortcuts

On Sun, 2005-12-25 at 16:54 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> --- Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> > > - use the 'open' command to launch an app or
> > document as if I double-clicked it
> > You can use "gnome-open" for that.
>
> Ah, I didn't know that. Longer to type though.

"open" is already taken, it creates a new virtual terminal on the Linux
console. "alias open=gnome-open" in your .bashrc should do.

> > > - drag icons from the file manager to command line
> > > input
> > That works with the GNOME terminal
>
> Not quite. Try a file whose path contains spaces.

You just need to put quotes around the filename.

> > > - copy and paste to and from other apps
>
> > That works if you use the Copy and Paste menu items,
> > or corresponding keyboard shortcuts.
>
> SHIFT+CTRL+V is an awkward combination for something
> that's used frequently.
> The Mac has a built-in advantage over GNOME here: the
> GUI uses the CMD key for shortcuts, and the terminal
> uses CTRL. So there's no clash between the copy
> shortcut and the terminal's CTRL-C.

As we already said, you can change those to be whatever you like.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>