Re: Synchronizing WAS [Re: [Usability] The ``Replace File'' dialog should display the two]

Hi everyone!

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 20:57 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> I would say there is a third way:
>
> c) check for conflicts before performing any file
> operations, and ask the user for decisions on the
> conflicts first (and as with b, offer a UI that can
> potentially deal with all future conflicts)

This is actually how directory synchronization software works. A
colleague of mine developed one such program, and released it as free
software: http://jfilesync.sourceforge.net/ . It is Java, but since it
contains some ideas that are relevant to this discussion, I thought it
was a good idea to mention it.

In my opinion, directory copying could be seen as a particular case of a
more general directory merging/synchronizing operation. Having this
functionality directly in Nautilus would be, of course, very valuable.

Cheers,

M. S.