Re: Synchronizing WAS [Re: [Usability] The ``Replace File'' dialog should display the two]

--- Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org> wrote:

> In general, we have two ways of dealing with
> conflicts
> a) "collect" all conflicts and - after copying the
> rest of the files -
> provide an UI for resolving them [1]
> b) stop at the first conflict, but offer an UI for
> setting how to deal
> with this and future conflicts

I would say there is a third way:

c) check for conflicts before performing any file
operations, and ask the user for decisions on the
conflicts first (and as with b, offer a UI that can
potentially deal with all future conflicts)

I think this is desirable for several reasons:

It can happen that it's only when a user sees there is
a conflict that they realise they've given the wrong
command entirely (eg, dragged to the wrong folder). A
"cancel" button should therefore cancel the entire
operation. This is easily & quickly done if nothing
has been written to disk yet.

Second reason: suppose I want to copy a very large
quantity of data, and that I leave the PC to get on
with it. I come back to find that halfway through the
operation there was a conflict, and the machine has
been waiting for input for the last ten minutes. It's
wasted my time. If conflicts are flagged up
immediately, I can leave the PC knowing all is well.

Hello everyone by the way :)

Joachim