Fwd: [Usability] Global Menu Bars

Mmm, forgot to send it to usability?, Karim? ;)

No worries, I forwarded it.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karim Nassar <karim nassar acm org>
Date: 18 april 2005 23:15:38 GMT+02:00
To: Thom Holwerda <slakje quicknet nl>
Subject: Re: [Usability] Global Menu Bars

Looking into the possibility of making a nice applet for it so people can test it, that would be awesome and a very wise thing to do. That way users and developers can "try it on for size", and we can base our comments on actual experience and usage instead of articles and studies. If I could code, I'd already be on it.

I think that if this is not an optional thing, the "Flame GNOME" crowd will come out en masse. The war over spatial Nautilus still continues...

If this was implemented as a panel, and selectable from "Add a new Panel", I think that many flames could be avoided. I can imagine this being implemented where GTK looks at a flag somewhere when redrawing a window and determines if the menubar belongs in the current window, or in Menu Panel. Further, a HUGE improvement over the OS X implementation would to have, in addition to the alt-<key> menu bindings, a key binding that shoots the mouse pointer into the menu. This would reduce the seek time tremendously.

Are there any GTK hackers around this list that can comment? Or is this best moved to gnome-hackers?

--
Karim Nassar

Thom Holwerda
---