Re: [Usability] Re: Content Separation in GNOME

Hi Ivan

(Apologies for drifting off-topic back there).

Rather than having a fixed '~/downloads' folder, couldn't we have a
GConf key that points to a user/admin-defined downloads folder? That
way:

- The i18n issue shouldn't be too difficult (just change the GConf key
based on language)
- The downloads folder doesn't have to be in ~. It could be on a file
share somewhere, so the network admin can control downloads properly.
Controlling files coming into & out of an organisation is a major
headache for a lot of SME netadmins.
- See the point above - virus scanning would be easier to implement
across the network.
- Also with a customisable path, we could hide the downloads folder
'~/.downloads' if people don't want to see it. I use a downloads
folder but there's no saying everyone else wants one immediately
visible.
- Might it be possible to save other untrusted files to the folder,
such as e-mail attachments? At least then we have them all in the same
place.
- Could all files originating from the folder be given an emblem
denoting whether they are considered trusted or not?

Another thought is, is the folder important enough to everyone to be
in the Places menu?

Hope any of this at all makes sense.