Re: [Usability] Content Separation in GNOME

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 13:38 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:

> The "My" prefix to things is annoying, but I can see how it would
> alleviate some confusion to users who are migrating from Windows,
> to our lovely desktop. I still hate it now though.

On MS Windows there's no clear concept of "login directory".

On Unix-like systems we have a user's home directory, which, in
the Windows UI tradition could be called "My Stuff".

Since everything under ~user is My *, I don't think we need the My
on subfolders.

> I would be fine with ~/Documents, ~/Movies, and whatnot. What I wouldn't
> be fine with is having a "Desktop" directory, on my desktop, which is my
> $HOME.

Same here, although I actually turn the desktop off most of the time,
originally for significant performance and laptop battery reasons.

> I think we should worry about solving it for the entire desktop, not
> just our desktop.

+1

> "Document based" is a rather generic term, which often ends up confusing
> people into thinking everything should be a document.
Strictly speaking GNOME is Object based, which is why it's GNOME and not
GNDME :-)

> . It needs a lot more thought, and possibly a lot of extended user testing.
Yes.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin