Re: [Usability] GTK Stock icons

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 16:44 -0300, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I don't know exactly where I should  post this, so if someone finds it
> inappropriate, please forgive me and pont me to the right location.
>
> Most default stock icons (for actions like cancel or OK) present in
> gtk are really dated (gnome 1.X) and not really good looking. However,
> it seems that no one cared about getting rid of them on 5 (!) stable
> releases of the gnome 2.X series.

Most of the icons were re-done actually for 2.0.

> However, there are already good replacements for (most of) them. For
> example, the stock icons made by jimmac for the industrial GTK theme
> fits well with default gnome artwork and are aesthetically pleasant.
>
> I know that this can be fixed by:
>
> 1 - Adding Industrial stock icons to the hicolor default icon theme,
> so every gnome/gtk app on X11 will benefit from it.

The "hicolor" icon theme doesn't contain any icons, and isn't a gtk+
theme, so I'm not sure that this would really solve the problem.

> 2 - Other possible approach would be integrating the stock icons
> aforementioned on gtk proper, so the windows apps that uses gtk (gaim,
> abiword, gimp) can benefit for it too, and the old stock icons can
> rest in peace.

Abiword on windows doesn't use GTK+. I believe they use XPM versions of
some icons, imported into their code directly, even on *nix with GTK+.

> I would like to make clear that I'm suggesting the Industrial theme
> stock icons as the default because they are clear, distinctive,
> neutral and fit well with the rest of the artwork. I'm not trying to
> make a flamewar about this.
>
> So, I would like an opinion about this. I would like to see this
> fixed, making our desktop and development platform rock even more.

If you know what icon names need to be used in the Icon Theme, not the
gtk+ theme with an iconrc file, please file bugs against
gnome-icon-theme in http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ with the list of names
that are looked up in the icon theme for this. I will see what I can
do to get them into gnome-icon-theme at that point.

-- dobey