[Usability] Interface Design Question

Hello All,

I was reading over the HIG 2.0 and noticed that checkboxes aren't
supposed to modify the contents of other components they are just
supposed to enable or disable them.

In my project I have three checkboxes one for each language Java, C, and
C++ and when they are checked/unchecked they add/remove the usual
filename extensions for those languages to a list.  The user can then
add custom extensions or remove any extension from the list via add and
remove buttons.  But if I wanted to make my interface comply with the
HIG I would have to rework the interface somehow so that the checkboxes
don't modify the list but I cannot seem to come up with any idea.

Anyone got any ideas?

thanks

Kyle

ps I'm not on the usability list so cc me directly please.