Re: [Usability] Modified Documents

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 09:45, Dave Ahlswede wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 14:37 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 00:39 +0100, Iain * wrote:
> > >
> > > Marlin puts "(modified)"after the file name because really what
> > > does * mean?
> >
> > I'd be happy to consider recommending putting (say) a mini Save
> > icon before the filename instead, but that would obviously need
> > support in metacity and the window list applet, etc.
>
> Or, alternately, are there any suitable special dingbats in the
> Unicode set? This would remove the need for a new standard (and just
> need a Unicode-capable WM)

Interesting thought, I half-seriously looked into it. About all I
could find were these (Vim digraph in parenthesis following):

Symbol Decimal Digraph Notes
------ ------- ------- -------------------------------
  ✓     10003     OK   Check and X incorrection imply
  ✗     10007     XX   right and wrong.

  ∆      8710     DE   Greek Delta for "change".

  ←      8592     <-   Arrows of various sorts, better
  ↑      8593     -!   imply a current action rather
  →      8594     ->   than a static state of something.
  ↓      8595     -v
  ↔      8596     <>
  ↕      8597     UD
  ⇐      8656     <=
  ⇒      8658     =>
  ⇔      8660     ==

  ϟ       991     k3   Lightning bolt might be good for
                       danger, but unsaved file?

Probably a graphical icon would be better if the simple (and
conventional) asterisk gets the boot. (Interesting...even my Evolution
mailer can't even display the Unicode above in aligned columns despite
the mono-spaced font.)

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]