Re: [Usability] Modified Documents

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:52 +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Friday 17 September 2004 13:37, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 00:39 +0100, Iain * wrote:
> > > Marlin puts "(modified)"after the file name because really what does *
> > > mean?
> >
> > I'd be happy to consider recommending putting (say) a mini Save icon
> > before the filename instead, but that would obviously need support in
> > metacity and the window list applet, etc.
>
> Such a solution is very interesting. I think Mac OSX does it, and allows nifty
> Drag&Dropping from that icon, which represents the document, to for example a
> mail user agent for attachment. It follows up the multi window desktop/SDI
> paradigm nicely.

I rarely use the file open/save dialogs.  Having a document icon in the
window would be a real boon for saving files to the folder I already
have open in Nautilus.  After creating an additional file in an editor,
I frequently save the file to the desktop, then drag it to the open
folder on my desktop.  (I use Templates or copy & paste to make new file
where I want them to be normally.)

Adding a real Nautilus context menu might be awkward, but it certainly
would be nice to get the file properties from it so that I can fix the
file permissions without needing to switch windows.  Though just adding
the file properties item to the File menu might suffice just as well.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.