Re: [Usability] notebook-less dialogs

Dnia 13-09-2004, pon o godzinie 22:15 +0200, Robert Staudinger napisał:
> > > If no notebooks are required, would you suggest to insert a horizontal
> > > line right above the standard buttons?
> >
> > No. See chapter 8., Visual Design, where details of layout are discussed
> > in detail
>
> Hm. Figure 8.3. "Improved window layout"  (
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/design-window.html )
> includes a horizontal line. There is however no explicit mention in the
> text. I've seen that used by a number of applications, i think. So is it
> a preferred practice?

No, current preferred practice is to disable separator in dialogs, in
the line of avoiding visual clutter. Separators were trendy back in Gtk+
1.2, together with frames (them being on by default in GtkDialog is
remainder of those bad, old times ;)

HIG says in chapter 8, section "Window Layout":

'Using "white" or blank spacing and indentation to delineate groups is
cleaner and preferable to using graphical separators such as frames.'

That's the only part in that section that could be applied directly to
separator, but current best practice is to disable separator above
buttons. Again, filing a bug against HIG about insufficient info would
be good here.

HTH,
Maciej

--