Re: [Usability] Gnome Volume Manager

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:58:53 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Reinout van Schouwen <reinout cs vu nl>
> To: Sean Middleditch <elanthis awesomeplay com>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Gnome Volume Manager
>
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > a disk and a partition on a disk, and so on.  (Volume easily refers to
> > all of them, makes sense, and is familiar terminology; no other word
>
> This discussion amuses me a bit. If you only knew the impossible
> dilemmas the i18n teams face when having to translate the word 'volume'
> used in this context...

English _is_ my native language and I find this confusing.  Even as I
learn more about computer programming I still seem to retain the
perspective of the ordinary user and think most normal people associate
Volume with Audio Volume (or maybe liquid volume).

Which reminds me, not all of those forced to read about GNOME in English
have English as their first language (although our Dutch friends like
Reinout may well have better English than we do).

Using the clearest simplest and most straightforward language possible
helps all kinds of users.  Even the most intelligent people had to learn
these things once, no reason why things should be clear for everyone.
I like good quality clear English the same way you probably like g
good clear API's.

It is never too late to improve things but I take your point that any
change would have to be carefully planned and scheduled, but something
being difficult is not a good reason not to do it all.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org