Re: [Usability] Double-click in notification area?

The only thing I enjoy about single clicking is being able to select an
item, and view item-specific details in the status bar or information
bar (eg size of item).

I find it frustrating when a single click activates an item, I cannot
simply select it to see it's size (if in icon view).

However this could be accomplished on mouse-over as well ...  Mousing
past an item results in that item's details being displayed in the
status bar, for example.

I agree that double-clicking is onerous, but there should be no loss in
functionality - I don't want to right-click an item to see details about
it.  At times the right-click menu can take a long time to appear, only
to see an item's size?  Right click and then choose "Select" seems
overly complicated just to select it.