Re: [Usability] contents of default panel menus

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Karim Nassar wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:53:35 -0700
> From: Karim Nassar <Karim Nassar NAU EDU>
> Cc: Usability List <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] contents of default panel menus
>
> No install necessary:
>
> http://www.gnoppix.org/

I hate that name so much.  Klaus Knopper had a reasonbly good reason to
name Knoppix how he did the K was not some arbitrary reference to the
desktop toolkit, which makes changing the K to G is just plain nuts.
/endrant

> Gentoo is not for people uncomfortable with the command line, and the
> install process can take up to 3 days since one of its biggest features
> is the ability to custom compiles packages for your computer.

To be fair I am pretty sure that Gentoo can be bootstrapped from Debian
(or some sort of binary system) and you dont have to build everything from
scratch first time.

My standing recommendation on distributions is that if you have to ask
then you should probably should be using an easy to use distribution aimed
at Desktop users.  (i.e. not Debian, Gentoo, or Slackware)
As Mandrake is more focussed on KDE they dont seem to mess with Gnome very
much and it seems to be fairly standard but unless you grab Mandrake
Cooker you could be quite out of date.  Grabbing ISO's of Fedora is a
fairly easy way to go but again they are like to be a bit behind.  Aside
from the differences unless you are willing to compile from source Ubuntu
is likely to be your best bet because it already has Gnome 2.8.

Seeing as you already have it running the most practical thing to do would
be to try and make comments as best you can based on Ubuntu, maybe we need
to recommend they stick with the defualts or maybe their changes are so
good we should make them too.

- Alan.