Re: [Usability] Mac-style menus?

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 13:36, David Feldman wrote:
> Has anyone attempted to implement Mac-style menus - that is, a global
> menu bar (in a panel) that contains the menus for the frontmost app or
> window?

KDE have had this for some time, implemented via XEmbed and window manager
selections. As Sean pointed out this have been discussed a lot on this list,
but I have just started working on a Free Desktop specification for this,
which would allow a central menu bar to work cross-toolkits. The spec will
probably be simple, and bringing KDE to conformance would neither be tricky.
Regarding GTK, I've heard it could be a bit cumbersome, in some cases
requiring changing individual applications.

When I initiate discussion on the XDG list, I will CC this list.

Cheers,

	Frans