[Usability] Re: Error dialogs (among others?) and focus stealing prevention

But with a modal dialog a very interesting question is raised -- if you don't focus it, what do you focus? It makes no sense to leave the parent application focused, since it won't accept input. The modal dialog needs to be kept stacked above the parent window, so its very likely that it will be covering up whatever input element you were typing into anyway. So the user would be left with only one option: use the mouse to focus the dialog.

Clearly I'm not talking here about modal dialogs launched by a different application -- if you're typing into a terminal, you don't want an error message from evolution or whatever popping up in front of you.

-Rob