[Usability] Re: Error dialogs (among others?) and focus stealing prevention

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 21:48 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
>   If the error dialog is from the same application, it will
> often steal focus (but not always--depends on when keystrokes are
> processed relative to the gtk_widget_show() and the window manager
> mapping...blah blah blah.  Yes, Bryan, I wrote a test application to
> verify this).  The fix is relatively simple--have the application call
> "gtk_window_set_focus_on_map (error_dialog, FALSE);" before showing
> the error dialog.

I don't understand this fully; if the dialog is opened in response to a
key event, it would have the timestamp of said event and get focus. But
if it's opened out of the blue (say in a timeout, or due to network
communications), the timestamp should be 0, right?

Havoc