Re: [Usability] Mac-style menus?

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 09:36 -0400, David Feldman wrote:
> Has anyone attempted to implement Mac-style menus - that is, a global
> menu bar (in a panel) that contains the menus for the frontmost app or
> window?

This has been discussed.  A lot.  See the usability and desktop-devel-
list archives.

> I imagine this couldn't be done perfectly, but that a window manager
> could pull the menus out of their windows and dump them in a panel. Has
> anyone tried this?

A WM most definitely could *NOT* do that.  It would have to be
implemented in the toolkit.  Which would require a standard between GTK,
Qt, and other toolkits (including Mozilla's XUL and whatever OpenOffice
calls its widget system).

KDE/Qt already has support for this, I might note.