Re: [Usability] Notification Pop-ups

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 18:05 +0200, David Christian Berg wrote:
I'm not sure it should be HIG. There should be an extra notification
plugin, shouldn't there? This will show the "toaster notification" of
other apps, so therefore it'll decide on what they look like. I'm a
friend of eye candy, but I think allowing html or svg isn't the way to
go... the themes should be able to adress the pop_up (it just has to
have its very own gtk widget name) but that is all you do for eye candy.
You don't need to much HIG then and still have consistancy. This applet
would also queue popups that that only one is visible at the time.(looks
nicer)

The nice thing about having a notification spec is that it might be possible to define guidelines based on pretty strict usability principals, and implement a renderer based on them.  At the same time anyone could listen for the D-Bus signals with a more 'glitzy' rendering system, that doesn't adhere to strict accessibility guidelines.

-Brian