Re: [Usability] Re: Removing GNOME splash screens? (was: Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Zaheer Merali wrote:

> Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:08:17 +0100
> From: Zaheer Merali <zaheermerali gmail com>
> To: Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>
> Cc: usability gnome org, janne <jan moren lucs lu se>,
>      desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Re: Removing GNOME splash screens? (was: Re: Future
>     of desktop splash screens - some thoughts)
>
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:14:06 +0200, Christian Neumair
> <chris gnome-de org> wrote:
>
> > I've completely disabled the splash screen for now and don't feel that
> > anything lacks from my desktop; do be honest, I didn't really note it -
> > Nautilus loaded pretty quickly. Why can't we simply display a busy
> > cursor while the session is launched and react GUI-wise if something
> > goes wrong?
> >
> > I now feel like having a splash screen is like looking at your watch
> > while waiting for the bus - it won't drive faster, you're just
> > disappointed that it's late and get upset.
> >
> > What about removing it completely? Do we really need "Welcome to
> > GNOME"-fashioned branding?
> >
> > regs,
> >  Chris
> >

> I like the splash screen, solely for the reason that I know when
> everything necessary has started, unlike the XP experience where you
> have to manually wait 10-15 seconds while crap is being loaded.  XP
> would be much better usability wise if it notified you that stuff is
> actually being started.

This was backed up in the moderation queue but I'll respond to it anyway.

The need for feedback is undisputed.

The question was if a splash screen was neccessary.

The splash screen is the current way to provide feedback but it is not
the only way to provide feedback and we could certainly have no splash
screen but still provide feedback and startup some other way (one example
would be to show a busy cursor).

- Alan H.