Re: [Usability] Removing GNOME splash screens? (was: Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:53:20 -0400, Logan Rathbone
<logan rathbone utoronto ca> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 09:27:01PM +0000, Tiago Cogumbreiro wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 17:20, Leonardo Santagada wrote:
> > >   Gnome HIG says we shouldn't put version information in title bars,
> > > and let it only on the about for release version, so I think that it
> > > shouldn't show on the splash.
> > The splash is not a title bar.
> >
> I don't disagree with you there.  You really can't compare a splash
> screen and a title bar, as they're two completely different things.

The idea is that showing version nunbers is not necessary nor
desirable, not only on the titlebars but on splashscreens also, this
way you wont confuse users eg.: "I thought I was using red hat 9.0 not
gnome 2.8". Someone talked about windows, it doesn't say "starting
explorer 98" (I don't think they did much update after windows 98 in
the explorer :).

> > >   Second, now with dbus we should start thinking in writting the
> > > messages to dbus stream, so in ubuntu or other distros who will have a
> > > dbus bootsplash can show it there.
> > A dbus bootsplash? You would have to change how every console
> > application present on sysvinit works, doesn't seem feasable, also see
> > below.
> Again, I don't disagree.  Dbus bootsplash?  I can't even imagine how
> that would work...
The kernel is already being patched to send dbus messages, why not
have init send its output to dbus, and have something that shows that
in a framebuffer?