Re: [Usability] Removing GNOME splash screens? (was: Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Brian Skahan wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:05:53 -0400
> From: Brian Skahan <bskahan etria com>
> To: Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Removing GNOME splash screens? (was: Re: Future
>     of desktop splash screens - some thoughts)
>
> Why remove it?

Why have it?

> There is a delay, so there should be feedback.

There should be feedback.

No one is stupid enough to argue against that basic usability principle on
the Gnome usability mailing list.

There does not need to be a splash screen to provide feedback.
Feedback can be provided without making into a splash screen.

> The splash screen does more than provide something to look at it tells
> you which applications gnome-session is starting.

although it is useful to show that progress is being made
the utility of the extra detail in the information is questionable

> It aesthetically pleasing.

that is entirely subjective

The particular choice of splash screen in Ubuntu was considered
inappropriate by some more conservative users.

I find splash screens in general to be annoying advertising and the
question has already been asked if we really need this kind of
advertising and branding?

> Why revert it to a rather boring status bar?

How about waiting until a suggestion is made on how to replace things
before we decide not to try out the changes at all?

- Alan