Re: [Usability] Removing GNOME splash screens? (was: Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts)

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 16:14, Christian Neumair wrote:
> I now feel like having a splash screen is like looking at your watch
> while waiting for the bus - it won't drive faster, you're just
> disappointed that it's late and get upset.

Well, for the same reason you could remove progress bars from all
applications.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/principles-feedback.html

> What about removing it completely? Do we really need "Welcome to
> GNOME"-fashioned branding?

When I start a GNOME session, I like to see progress. Also, a default
splash showing the GNOME version number is useful when it comes to bug
reports, in discussion forums, etc. It's better if people see the
version number often enough to know it without having to look into
gnome-about.
But even if it wasn't useful, eye-candy is often of no particular use.
Why do we have customizable backgrounds in the first place?

So deactivatable: Yes. Remove completely (or by default): No.

-Samuel
|      Samuel Abels       |   http://www.debain.org    |
| spam ad debain dod org  | knipknap ad jabber dod org |