Re: [Usability] Spatial Improvement: Default windows placement

You're probably right. But I'm not reading the code, just observing the
behaviour on my 800x600 ubuntu desktop.

To prove your point I try the same experiment with a higher resolution
(1024x800) and clean-up my home dir. The result is just the same
http://zakaria.is-a-geek.org/demo/gnome-cascade-nautilus-big.png

Anyway my point is by placing the window in cascading way either as
first option or last, metacity has decrease the spatial experience.

I would not only concentrate on the placing. The size of the nautilus windows is also an important point. When working with the folders I normally set them to a
size so all files just fit in. (At least if there are quite few files)

Nautilus should size the windows in that way when first opening them. This would save some major time and will improve the user experience quite a bit. There could even be a setting to let the window size change when files are added or deleted.

greets

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de