Re: [Usability] GNOME 2.6+ usability: points of critique

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Robert Fendt wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:00:18 +0200
> From: Robert Fendt <rmfendt web de>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] GNOME 2.6+ usability: points of critique
>
> And thus spake Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM>
> Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:35:04 +0100:
>
> > If memory serves, viewing capabilities were removed from Nautilus
> > because the maintainers wanted to concentrate on making it a top notch
> > file manager, rather than the sort of bloated all-purpose shell that IE
> > has turned into.  And also because usability testing consistently turned
> > up major issues with the inline viewing, such as users expecting to be
> > able to print or edit text files or have full browser-like control over
> > HTML pages that opened in Nautilus windows.
>
> Hmm. On the one hand: okay, valid point. On the other hand you can still
> enable something like a "picture viewer" in Nautilus which has nothing
> more to do with a file manager than html rendering. Just my $0.02.

I'd certainly like to have a preview in the siderbar (split the sidebar
with the treeview on top and the preview underneath) much like you can
just about see in this tiny picture of the ACD See Thumbnail browser i
grabbed from the google cache.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ISCT57MhBFEJ:http://www.qsl.net/ok1zes/images/acdsee.jpg

I've wanted it for ages but still haven't checked bugzilla to see if a
similar report exists, mostly I just use GQview instead.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org