Re: [Usability] GNOME 2.6+ usability: points of critique

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 15:41 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
This is not a debate where facts need to be proven, it is his opinion,

Even if a user cannot prove something the fact that the sentiment exists
and you yourself admit you have heard it means that their is a
communication failure going on somewhere and we need to do better.

All feedback is a valuable opportunity to improve things, even when it
comes in the form of a mild rant (in fact I think criticism can be
especially illumination).
Your right, came out as more of a rant than I meant.

Things get repeated frequently enough to enter popular mythology and no longer need evidence to back them up, I think the "gnome developers are arrogant and don't care about users" is reaching that point, despite the fact that I've never experienced it - and I ask _really_ dumb questions.

in some ways gconf-editor is like regedti, it is more like regedit than
any other application, and users should be forgiven for such comparisions.
(if you can direct me to more information about gconf and gconf-editor
so I can better explain this to users in future I'd appreciate it)
If you compare gconf -editor to mlview or conglomerate, there are distinct similarities, because they basically are doing the same thing, providing a user friendly way to edit XML nodes.  I'd like to see a more user friendly gconf-editor, but I think it does a very good job (now with search, and stricter requirements for key descriptions).  Unfortunately there's a knee jerk reaction that it must be bad, because it looks like regedit.  I'd like to here proposals for a better UI.

-Brian

--
Brian Skahan <bskahan etria com>
Etria, LLP